Detroit Golf Club Homes was conceived in 1913 when the then Board of the Detroit Golf Club (DGC) purchased land from Horace Rackham and Senator Thomas Palmer, extending the existing property west to what is now Fairway Drive, north to Seven Mile and East to Hamilton Road.
They commissioned world-famed golf course designer, Donald Ross, to survey the approximate 300 acre property, which included an existing 18-hole golf course at Pontchartrain and McNichols.
The Board’s plan included two adjoining 18-hole golf courses surrounded by residential lots. It was envisioned that the combined elegance of the property homes surrounding a graceful palette of fairways and greens, amid majestic oak and maple trees would make this community one of the most desirable living areas in all of Detroit.
Ross determined that 149 lots could be plotted around the two 18-hole courses. Work began in 1914 and by the end of May 1915 one hundred and forty-four lots had been sold, all to DGC members, many of whom purchased multiple lots.
Detroit Golf Club community has been home to many prominent business professionals, entrepreneurs, artists and celebrities. Additional history is forthcoming, please stay tuned…..