The Detroit Golf Club (DGC) was founded in 1899 by William R. Ferrand and several of his friends. A 45-acre plot of farmland was rented at 6 Mile and Woodward and a 6-hole golf course layout was created. One year later, in 1900, three (3) additional holes were added, making it a 9-hole course. In 1902, 135 acres of land was purchased at 6 Mile and Hamilton and an 18-hole course was developed.
Senator Palmer donated much of his land to Horace Rackham, DGC member (1903) and President (1916 & 1917) who, in 1913, donated 300 acres to the Club, adding to the already existing 260 acres.
The Detroit Golf Club commissioned world-famed Golf Architect, Donald Ross to design the course when he determined that two 18-hole courses could be built on the property after plotting for 149 property lots.
Legendary Detroit architect Albert Kahn was hired to design a new 18,000 square-foot clubhouse in 1916, which was completed in 1918. Learn more about the history of the Detroit Golf Club.
You must be logged in to post a comment.